Notice: Undefined variable: content_end in /home/thefret3/public_html/wp-content/plugins/all-in-one-adsense-and-ypn/all-in-one-adsense-and-ypn.php on line 666
Fall = Apples. That is all you need to know. So, What better way to start a warm Fall weekend than to wake up early on Saturday and make our way down to the Apple Cider Mill? None, in this blogger’s humble opinion. The smell of freshly crushed apples and cider donuts is sure to awaken anyone’s senses for the delicious. I remember taking a field trip to the Cider Mill as a second grader and can still remember my first taste of fresh cider and bread with apple butter as one of the most delightful Fall experiences I have ever had. So, with apples on my mind (and leftover pastry dough in my fridge), I decided to take a swing at apple-filled goodness and baked apple turnovers. Cinnamon and brown bubbly sugar folded into crisp, melt in your mouth pastry dough and drizzled with homemade vanilla frosting is the perfect combination in this yummy apple turnover creation.
- 4 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/2″ squares
- 3 cups water + 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon corn starch + 1 tablespoon water
- 1 package frozen puffed pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl pour in 3 cups water & lemon juice and let the apple slices soak
- In a large skillet let the butter melt on medium heat.Then drain the apples and add them to the skillet and cook for 2-4 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon and then add to skillet. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes until the apples are well coated.
- Stir together corn starch and water (1 tablespoon) and add to skillet. Cook another 2 minutes until well mixed. Then remove skillet from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- On a large baking sheet unroll the pastry dough and cut each square into 4 equal squares. Scoop the apple mixture into one triangle of the dough squares and then fold over other side of dough square to form a triangle. Pinch together dough and seal in apple filling. Repeat for remaining squares. (Should make 8 total)
- Place baking sheet with turnovers into oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla to make the glaze. Add more milk or powdered sugar to reach desired consistency.
- Glaze the turnovers once they have cooled and serve warm or store in an air tight container.
Source: modified slightly from Mau-Columbus from Allrecipes.com