By far, this is one of my favorite recipes I have ever come across. My mom taught me this one years ago when she first served it to our family for a Holiday Brunch. Ever since then these roll ups have been on my “top-picks” list. Not only do these taste wonderful…they are sooo easy to make & will only take you 15 minutes tops from prep to finish. I also like the variety of ways these roll ups can be served. My favorites are: Valentine’s Day appetizers, Easter or Christmas Day Brunch, snowy winter days with a side of soup, or even at a summer party with crisp, cool greens as a side salad. The Dijon Ham & Asparagus also pairs well with a chilled glass of water or a glass of red wine.
I have been on an asparagus “kick” for this month. I can’t get enough of it. I made Lentil Asparagus Soup and Roasted Asparagus and now Dijon Ham & Asparagus Roll Ups! (looks like I am on a roll…hehe…ok, that was a lame pun). I even have a little leftover for dinner tonight.
Did I also mention that the Dijon Ham & Asparagus roll ups can be made from stuff right out of your fridge? No fancy ingredients, just your every day stuff! How awesome is that!? But, don’t let that fool you…these come out tres’ gourmet. So, no one has to know how easy they were to make.
Dijon Ham & Asparagus Roll Ups
- 1 package crescent rolls
- 10 slices lean ham (thin, lunch meat works the best)
- 12-16 asparagus heads (top 3″-3.5″ of asparagus stalk)
- Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (or check package of crescent rolls for oven directions)
- In a microwaveable bowl, place asparagus (already broken to 3″) with just enough water to cover. Then place a towel over the top of the bowl. Microwave on 50% power for 2 minutes or until tender.
- On a large baking sheet, spread out the crescent dough evenly. Coat dough with an even layer of Dijon mustard.
- Wrap 1 – 2 asparagus in 1-2 slices of ham. Then, place at the wide end of the crescent dough and roll up in the dough. Repeat for each crescent roll.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly golden brown.
- Let cool slightly and serve warm with a side soup or salad!
- (Other additions that are also yummy are grated mozzarella cheese, sliced turkey, or slices of bacon.)