If you were wondering if I ate all of those bacon laden cupcakes, the answer is…I tried a bite, remembered that I also have some delicious spiced ginger, and then made these.
Yep, I couldn’t succumb to the bacon goodness. But, if you are a bacon lover, a breakfast lover, or a lover of all things salty sweet…my recipe for Maple Bacon Cupcakes is just for you!
But, I couldn’t just stop there with these cupcakes, because to be honest, the maple flavor was so lite and yummy that I had to make one more version. And this one is sooooo addicting!
Spiced Ginger Maple Cupcakes use the same batter and frosting as my other maple cupcakes but this time I topped them with some crystallized spiced ginger I had recently purchased at one of my favorite local spice shops.
The combination of the light cupcake, maple frosting, and ginger was delicious. The maple flavor actually balances very well with the ginger, making the ginger taste not too overpowering.
So, here’s to one more version of Maple Cupcake goodness…spiced ginger style!
Maple Cupcake Batter:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
- Garnish: Small pieces of crystallized ginger
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ginger. Set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar together using a mixer set on medium speed in a large bowl until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, syrup, and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture by thirds, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Fill 18 lined muffin cups and bake until a tester comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- For Frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add cream the cream cheese and butter and beat on low speed until smooth.
- Stir in the maple syrup and vanilla extract. With the mixer still on low, slowly add the confectioners’ sugar and mix until smooth.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and garnish each with a few pieces of crystallized ginger.