Many years ago I began to have a slight obsession with flat breads.
The many variations of flat breads I have come across have ranged from a typical pizza and salads to the more “extreme” versions of calamari infused bread or one with liver and onions (not my favorite choice).
Hands down, this version of flat bread has always been my favorite.
Over our honeymoon, Jason and I made a list of all the restaurants we intended to visit. One of them was a European Bistro by the name of Yia Yia’s. We went, sat down and shared a raspberry lemon cocktail and were served this heavenly flat bread creation called “Chicken Piadini”. Served with hummus and olives on the side, I was hooked.
Since then, I have been dreaming about recreating my own version of this favorite flat bread dish. I decided to substitute the piadani for thin crust pizza dough (confession time – I found some on sale and couldn’t resist making this a super affordable meal!!) But, if I went homemade I would have used a traditional Piadina recipe (and if you know of one, let me know!).
Even with pizza dough, this recipe came pretty close to the original. We ate it for lunch today paired with some roasted red pepper hummus and it was divine. We are planning on having a summer party and this is definitely going on the appetizer list! Just cut it into thin strips and serve with your favorite hummus dip. Can’t wait!
- 1 package thin crust pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper – washed, seeded and diced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper – washed, seeded and diced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, sliced in thin strips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Unwrap pizza dough and place on a large non-stick baking sheet. Mend any breaks in the dough and shape. Bake for 5 minutes at 400 degrees and then remove from oven. In a small bowl pour in olive oil and using a pastry brushly lightly brush on oil across pizza dough.
- Dice and slice all of your vegetables. Evenly distribute diced bell peppers on to the flatbread, then red onion, then chicken. Lastly, top it off with the feta and then place the flatbread back into the oven (at 400 degrees) and bake for another 6 to 10 minutes or until the crust turns slightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle fresh basil on top and serve.