Spring is so close, I can taste it.
We actually enjoyed 70+ degree weather for the first time in months last week. I marveled at the fact that I could wear a t-shirt on a walk and feel perfectly comfortable.
Of course, the other treat I want more than anything when the weather turns nice and warm is ice cream!
A friend of mine let me borrow me his ice cream maker for the week so that I could whip up one of my favorites…Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream with a crumbled Graham Cracker topping. Delicious!
Despite the name, I made another “light” version of this ice cream by replacing the heavy cream with half and half. I prefer the taste that this version had with a light and delicious bite that feels like it will not weigh you down. (Have to balance the cream cheese, right?) So, while this isn’t necessarily healthy…it is ice cream after all…it is delicious and a great way to make Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream light.
To truly get the cheesecake taste, we added a crumbled topping of crushed graham crackers. It was just like having a delicious flaky crust with rich, creamy cheesecake. Oh so yummy! I hope you enjoy!
- 3/4 pound strawberries
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Garnish: Crumbled Graham Crackers
- In a food processor chop up strawberries. Then pour in sugar, milk, lemon juice and half & half and pulse a few times (4-5 times until blended). Then add in cream cheese in small 1 inch squares. Pulse until well-blended.
- Add to electric ice cream maker and follow instructions. The consistency should come out like custard. Pour into an airtight container and place in freezer and chill at least one hour. Scoop out with an ice cream scoop and garnish with crumbled graham crackers. Serve immediately.
Source: modified from Epicurious.com – Strawberry-Cheesecake Ice Cream