Today’s delicious guest post is from Paige from her family’s blog Speed Bump! She has shared an amazing family friendly recipe for roasted brussels sprouts that are sure to get your mouth watering. I love this side dish, the cranberries and hazelnuts with pancetta really make this an amazing treat. So, save this one onto your recipe list and head on over to Paige’s blog to find more yummy recipes. Thanks Paige!
Fall is the perfect time to serve up roasted vegetables. We first discovered the amazing flavors of roasted vegetables when looking for ways to expose our toddler son to new and varied vegetables. Roasted broccoli was our first try and since then we’ve roasted everything from cabbage and beets to cauliflower and carrots. Roasting brings out the flavor in vegetables while retaining texture and color. The plethora of root vegetables and squash available in the fall makes for easy meal planning when combined with a simple protein or whole grain. But hands down our favorite recipe for fall, or anytime, is roasted Brussels sprouts.
This is not your grandmother’s (or even your mother’s) Brussels sprout recipe. Most people don’t like Brussels sprouts (named after the city in Belgium) because they recall the steamed, mushy, tasteless version of their youth. Brussels sprouts, however, have made a resurgence and if you haven’t tried this update of the sprout, you are missing out. Resembling miniature cabbages, Brussels sprouts are cruciferous vegetables in the same family with cabbage, broccoli, collard greens, kale and the lesser known kohlrabi. With a healthy dose of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, folic acid and dietary fiber in every serving, you can’t go wrong with this tasty dish.
We originally had these Brussels sprouts at a local pizza restaurant in Kansas City. They were so good we decided to replicate them at home. As a perfect side dish to fish, pasta, pizza, just about anything really, you won’t need an excuse to make them. They just might become your household favorite.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberries & Hazelnuts
makes 2 hearty portions
- 3 T olive oil
- Approximately 16 Brussels sprouts (depends on size – about 8 per person)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 slices pancetta cubed (about 1/8 –1/4 inch thick)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/4 c hazelnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and then rinse Brussels sprouts, trim, and, depending on size, cut in half (or even quarter if large sprout).
- Combine Brussels sprouts, pancetta, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl.
- Transfer all ingredients to a large cast iron skillet and place in 425 degree oven for 20 minutes. Stirring often. With about 5 minutes left, add the garlic.
- Remove from the oven and stir in cranberries and chopped hazelnuts. Enjoy!