Smoky Black Bean & Turkey Chili

I have been making a lot of chili recipes lately. A combination of the weather, sports climate, and our enormous supply of canned beans has been providing us with all the excuses to make “chili night” quite the regular occurrence. Actually, I think in the last month I have made 5 separate recipes based on what I had on hand. What can I say…we really love chili around here! So, after all of those experiments, I think I found a new one I had to share with all of you. :)

We are usually beer chili eaters, but when I decided to make a batch on one of our super busy days it was either beer-less chili or a run to the store at 8 AM to pick up a 6-pack. Since I don’t even know where to find beer that early in the morning, I rummaged through our pantry, put on my thinking cap, and came up with this yummy tomato-based alternative.

By combining diced tomatoes and tomato sauce to make the base, we came up with a hearty thick chili consistency complemented with turkey, black beans, and hickory smoke flavoring. The spicy flavors were more of an undertone to our usual spicier chilis from a subtle combination of green chiles, chili powder, and cumin. Although we used ground turkey sausage in ours, I want to make this again with some shredded turkey next time. Yum!

Smoky Black Bean & Turkey Chili

Serving(s): 8 regular bowls

• 10 oz. crumbled turkey sausage (or shredded cooked turkey)
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
  • 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
  • 1 (14 oz. can) diced tomatoes
  • 3 (14 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon hickory smoke powder or liquid smoke

1. In a medium non-stick skillet, brown meat on medium-high heat until cooked through. Drain off extra grease.
  2. While meat is cooking, chop onion. Prepare large stock pot and add remaining ingredients. (adding onion and cooked meat when ready)
  3. Bring chili to a boil, stirring occasionally, then turn heat to simmer. Let simmer for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours, uncovered. (The longer it simmers, the better fused the flavors will be)
  4. Serve hot with your favorite toppings (we used sharp cheddar shredded cheese, low-fat sour cream, and saltines).  For leftovers, transfer chili to a plastic container, cover, and refrigerate (excellent the next day too!).

9 Responses to “Smoky Black Bean & Turkey Chili”

1. Anna says:

I love the high protein content of black beans. Nutritious and comforting, great for the chilly evenings. Thanks for the post!

2. Brooke says:

The smoke! That’s what it was! Sooooo good!

3. Eliana says:

Hmmm – this has delicious and comfort written all over it. It’s just perfect for this time of year too.

4. Kendall says:

I like the valuable info you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark yyour blog and check again here regularly.
    I’m quite sure I will learn lots oof new stuff right here!
    Good luck for the next!

5. Danilo says:

Thanks for the good writeup. It inn reality was a leisure account it.
    Glance advanced tto far brouight agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?

6. Leslie says:

Wow, awesome weblog layout! How long have you ever been running a bllg for?
    you made running a blog glance easy. The total glance off your site is wonderful, let alone the content!

7. Make an appointment with a financial counselor or banker that you simply trust
    and ask the important questions call of duty advanced warfare free Sign up
    both options allow one to make the most of the equity inside your already established

8. Assuming that clash of clans pekka it is like a game
    developed for IOS. Your ability to move further in the Google Play sales
    managed to catch the decades old Nintendo game company.
    Ranging from games to make use of clash of clans pekka wireless laptop processor, also tons of mobile games industry
    is bombarded with low-cost, craftable items along with positioning and the CEO of Halfbrick.

9. I would rather consume Clorox than waiting room coffee.
    But of program I consume it, and I’m glad it’s there.
    “How good,” I believe, “that they offer this.” The only other factor that usually appears to be in a hospital waiting around space is one thousand-piece jigsaw puzzles.
    I don’t know about you, but when I’m pressured, those tiny pieces are
    too a lot; however the length of time it would consider
    to total 1 is fitting. I’ve been back again to exact same waiting around space for months.
    How about you?

That’s the important to direct visitors visits: marketplace your web
    site all over the place. I recommend that every marketing endeavor should
    have your website deal with on it. If I was you, I would put it on my
    hats, trucks, ads (print, radio, online, tv), pens, agreements, indicators, shows, nametags,
    brochures, billboards, mugs, shirts, all totally free gifts and something else you
    use for marketing. The more you direct visitors to your website the much better.
    The much more you marketplace your web address, the
    much more you will see your direct traffic increase so unfold the word.

After the service we went to get our children and
    they were beaming. Sure.that’s correct.our kids cherished Sunday College there.
    Usually a new church encounter will deliver them all into tears, but not this time.
    They couldn’t quit sharing stories about how a lot fun they had.

Ideally the Montessori materials on the shelves should already be engaging
    and inviting. Some might wish to show classroom animals in a much more prominent place for an open home or meet and greet session, to draw children in. Some Montessori
    school rooms put out big manipulative actions, such as blocks, to keep kids occupied till they
    are obtained proper classes on Montessori supplies.

Saturday early morning, our tour went to the Seoul Tower, which is located
    on a hill in the center of this metropolis of eleven million people.
    The Tower has a 360 diploma observation deck and a revolving restaurant.
    It boasts a height of 777 ft and can be reached by car, bus or cable vehicle.
    This was a ideal vantage point from which to see the Financial
    Improvement of Seoul in the previous fifty many years. Doyle remembers heading through Seoul in 1950 when it was eerie
    because the Money and two other buildings were practically
    all that remained standing from the see-saw back again and forth of
    Chinese/South Kerean claims upon the city.

Jewelry. For a feminine celebration, take a more advanced method
    to sporting Thanksgiving crafts. Making earrings out
    of faux feathers or autumn coloured beads is not only festive, but
    also fancy enough to wear every working day.

Go out of your way to use the names of 10 unsuspecting nametaggers
    this 7 days. Maintain a journal, e-mail the encounters it to me and I’ll
    publish your adventures on my blog!