Sometimes I have a moment where the whole world seems to stop.
Like when I realize that whatever I thought was so important suddenly ceases to matter. I look around and actually notice things: a bird in our window, the way I love how we have enough books to start a small library, the sound of our neighbor’s wind chimes.
When we got home tonight from small group I had another “stop” moment. Our apartment still had the lingering smell of these delicious roasted potatoes and I was suddenly so grateful for this recipe for 2 reasons…
1) It was delicious, and flavorful, and crispy on the outside/soft on the inside amazing.
2) It renewed my faith in potatoes that are cooked in an oven.
I have been previously known to prefer only potatoes that are mashed to a pulp.
But these potatoes are so perfectly crispy and extremely flavorful, they have become my new favorite grilling side dish.
So, even though we heartily ate through these for dinner I still had a pang of longing for another bite as I walked in the door.
So, what was the secret to these delicious roasted potatoes? The red potatoes in this side dish are paired with baby carrots and fresh garlic in a dry onion soup and olive oil marinade. I let them soak for about half an hour to let the flavor seep in and then added a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
All I can say is this will be my “go to” oven roasted potatoes recipe from now on. So good!
- 6 to 8 medium red potatoes, washed and diced
- 8 to 10 baby carrots
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (1oz) package dry onion soup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Thoroughly wash potatoes and pat dry. Dice into 1″ pieces and place into large ziploc bag. Add carrots.
- In a small mixing bowl combine dry onion soup, olive oil, and garlic and mix to create a marinade. Pour mixture into ziploc bag with the potatoes and carrots. Close ziploc bag securely and toss potatoes and carrots until they are evenly coated with the marinade. Store vegetables in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a large baking sheet, line with heavy duty foil and spray a light layer of Pam.
- On prepared baking sheet with foil, pour vegetables out a spread evenly. Add sea salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 30 minutes at 350.
- At the 30 minute mark, stir the vegetables. Then turn the oven up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and continue to bake for 20-25 minutes until browned and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Source: modified from Allrecipes.com Oven Roasted Red Potatoes recipe.