I love grilling season.
The smell of our neighbors grilling hamburgers and hot dogs on a nice day always has me wishing I could stop by for a bite. Like a big family, we are frequently all out on our grills at the same, enjoying the weather and making our dinners.
Jason and I have been taking more and more frequent walks around the neighborhood lately. I think we have finally made “friends” with our neighbor’s dogs since they no longer bark hysterically when we walk by. One even gave us a quick look and then chased down a bird for us (what a show off…lol). When we walked a few nights ago there was that smell of grilled brats that made us both stop for a moment. We knew that grilling was going to have to be happening very soon at our house.
So we made one of my favorites tonight…grilled teriyaki chicken.
After a night of soaking up the teriyaki marinade, this teriyaki chicken is all ready to go. I love eating this with a nice side of rice and/or veggies. I decided to try a new version of a rice flavored with chicken stock, coriander, and sauteed onions for dinner. I loved how it paired with the grilled chicken and brought a nice balance of flavors.
Finally we topped it all of with a bit of freshly chopped parsley. I liked the fresh herb taste which was another nice reminder that Spring is finally here. I also usually like the bite of fresh cilantro in rice and would definitely recommend this rice and chicken dish with some freshly chopped cilantro instead of the parsley for those who like an extra punch of flavor.
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sriracha hot sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped parsley (or cilantro)
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken: Prepare marinade by mixing all ingredients. Place prepared marinade and chicken into a ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight. Heat grill and grill chicken until fully cooked. Serve with coriander rice.
- Coriander Rice: In a medium pot, heat oil on medium heat and add chopped onions. Saute until the onions turn translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Add coriander and turmeric and stir until well mixed for about one minute. Next add dry rice, mix in until fully coated. Then add chicken stock and salt. Bring to a boil while stirring. Cover and turn to low, cook for 20-30 minutes until rice is tender. Remove from heat and add in chopped parsley (or cilantro) and serve.
Source: Coriander Rice modified from Bon Appetit 2004 Coriander Rice Recipe found on Epicurios.