Notice: Undefined variable: content_end in /home/thefret3/public_html/wp-content/plugins/all-in-one-adsense-and-ypn/all-in-one-adsense-and-ypn.php on line 666
One of the reasons I love quiche so much is the fact that it is one of those dishes that is perfectly acceptable at any time: Breakfast, brunch, lunch with a side soup or salad, dinner, even snack time! The second thing that I like so much about quiche is that you can make it any way you like it. Personally, I love veggies and especially spinach so this one is full of leafy green goodness. But, you can sub in practically anything else, broccoli, tomatoes, red or green bell peppers, meat like ham or bacon or sausage, or you can even jazz it up with feta cheese, roasted red peppers, and more.
Oh, and the very best part? You probably guessed it. This is soooo easy to make. Seriously, you could do it with your eyes closed (but I wouldn’t recommend that).
This quiche is super flavorful because of one of the “secret” ingredients – which is a package of veggie dip. To be honest, I am not too big a fan of traditional egg-y, cheesy quiche. But, with this quiche the vegetable taste shines through. We first encountered this quiche when visiting our family in Wichita, my mother-in-law is very good at making awesome food that usually makes its way on here. So, when we had her version of this, I knew I would have to make some too! So, I hope this inspires you to do the same!
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 small white onion
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup low-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 package veggie dip
- 9 inch pie crust (we used pre-made, you can also try crustless!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a pie pan and arrange pie crust.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil on medium heat and saute onion until transluscent. Then add spinach and saute until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs together and then stir in milk, veggie dip, cheese, and add spinach mixture. Mix until evenly distributed. Then pour into prepared pie crust.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes clean. Remove from oven and let set for 20 minutes before serving. (Tip: try letting the quiche set in the fridge the night before prior to baking to let all the flavors soak in & for a fresh breakfast treat!)