Notice: Undefined variable: content_end in /home/thefret3/public_html/wp-content/plugins/all-in-one-adsense-and-ypn/all-in-one-adsense-and-ypn.php on line 666
I hold my breath. Wait for the news. The news that my husband’s cancer is back. The news we have been warned about for months and test after test shows up inconclusive results…we wait…and we wait…and we wait.
The call finally came. The results are positive.
Here we go.
A road to intense chemos and transplants…and hopefully a cure.
Breathe. Pray. Love. Fight.
I won’t lie. This will not be easy. I will spare you the sacrifices two young people make when cancer rears its ugly head. Let me just say, it is all worth it. Worth every effort, even if effort never seems to be enough. Worth every sacrifice, even when you thought it was the dream. Worth every moment of screaming, I WILL NOT GIVE UP, even through the bad news, bad days, and never-ending trips to the doctors.
And you know what? In the next few months, we get to eat lots of soup. Lots and lots of delicious soup. And man, do I love soup. I mean, I was pretty much giddy when the temps fell into the 70s – close enough for soup and chili weather for me! So, there are some pretty delicious times we get to look forward to.
To prepare for the next few months, we have been taking many several steps to ensure everything on our end goes smoothly. So, I am calling out to all of you for a bit of help.
I have created a page called “Guest Blog FAQ” and I am looking for some posts for the next few months to fill in for when I will be focusing on getting us through our new daily routine. I am truly blessed to be a part of such an amazing group of food bloggers and I would love to return the favor sometime down the road. If you would like to help out, please check out the Guest Blog FAQ page and let me know if you would like to be a part of our fight, one delicious meal at a time.
If you want to follow us as we progress through the next few months, I will be using the hashtag #teamwatson for updates on Twitter. (Yep, move aside Hermione/Emma Watson fan clubs!)
Thank you to all of my loyal readers and fellow foodies, I sincerely hope you enjoy this Creamy Potato Soup. Plus, I promise there will be lots more soup goodness to come!
- 4 cups red potatoes, diced
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- bacon salt (or you can use regular salt) and cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Use 1-2 tablespoons of flour to thicken, if needed
- Optional: diced ham or bacon (fully cooked)
- In a large stock pot add potatoes, celery, onion, chicken stock, bacon salt and pepper. Cover and cook on medium-low heat until vegetable become tender. Approx. 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- You can now pick using either an immersion blender or a large food processor. For immersion blender: Use blender to mash up soup to desired consistency, try pulsing in order to leave a few potato chunks. For food processor: Transfer half of the soup into the processor and blend until creamy, then stir back into soup for a nice mixture of creamy soup and chunky potatoes.
- Turn heat to low and stir in milk and cheese, stirring until completely blended in. If using ham or bacon, add it in at this time. Serve hot with desired garnish – bacon bits, cheese, saltine crackers, diced green onions, etc.
Source: modified from allrecipes.com recipe for Golden Potato Soup.