Super Bowl weekend is here and we have been getting into the spirit with all of our favorite foods for the big day. Chili, of course, is one of our Super Bowl Sunday staples and lately we have been making pots upon pots of chili! So, I thought it was only appropriate to supplement our supply with some of our favorite Homemade Honey-Butter Cornbread. The recipe is pretty easy and packs in the delicious cornbread texture and flavor you would expect from any restaurant offering.
When I looked into making a cornbread recipe, I came up with a lot of buttermilk and heavy options. I didn’t want to sacrifice the delicious cornbread flavor, but did want something a little lighter. We went ahead and used 2% milk in this recipe instead and it came out perfect – moist, light, and flavorful.
- 2/3 cups unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (we used a wheat blend)
- 1 1/3 cups cornmeal
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a 9″ x 13″ baking pan (depth at least 2″) with some cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar, add honey and mix.
- In a small bowl, Whisk the eggs together and then mix with milk. Then in another bowl mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add in the egg mixture and the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixing bowl to make the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared 9″ x 13″ pan and spread out evenly. Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 10-15 minutes,then cut into squares and serve warm. (These are delicious the next day too and really start to sweeten up after a few hours, so save a few for later!)