Dinner tonight ended up as an emergency.
3 PM rolled around today and I was battling our vacuum cleaner…which refused to be clean itself. Many scrapings, detergents, and my favorite Clorox wipes later, I think it finally may be usable again. (Thank goodness.) I have a slight addiction to vacuuming lately, it is seriously like therapy. I love it.
So, instead of my carefully planned dinner which involved my neglected crock pot, I had to quickly come up with a new plan. I ran to the store and immediately was drawn to one of my favorite browsing sections – the nook where they hide the hummus. (Anyone else notice that hummus is always placed at random in the grocery store??) Once I saw the hummus, all my other ideas dissolved. As my impulse grew, the idea for a fresh Mediterranean dinner became the new plan (with a little hummus on the side, of course).
For the few ingredients in this couscous dinner, it packs in a ton of flavor. The sun-dried tomatoes and marinated artichoke hearts have a nice robust flavor which is accentuated by the subtle, fresh spinach leaves.
I honestly did not add anything else to this dish. No salt, no pepper, no spices…just the original flavors and a little chicken broth for the couscous, that’s it! (I didn’t even eat mine with the feta cheese.)
I loved the fresh flavors and the simplicity of this couscous. I will definitely be making this one again. I used to always buy those big containers of sun-dried tomatoes at Costco, but never seemed to find ways to use them all in time. Now, I am already getting excited to try this out again.
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked couscous (can substitute quinoa or bulgur)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 (6 oz) jar of marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, washed well and chopped
- Optional: feta cheese, cracked black pepper, rotisserie chicken
- In a medium pot, bring chicken broth to a boil. Stir in couscous and cover. Remove from heat immediately and let sit for 7 minutes. Once broth is absorbed, fluff and set aside. (Check package instructions for any variance in cook time/method)
- While the couscous is cooking, drain the sun-dried tomatoes and place in a microwaveable bowl. Add 2 cups water and microwave on high for 3 minutes (should come to a boil). Then cover and let sit for approx. 10 minutes, then drain and dice the sun-dried tomatoes.
- In a large bowl, add in couscous and then mix in the diced sun-dried tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts (do not drain!), and spinach. Garnish with crumbled feta cheese and freshly cracked pepper, if desired. Serve warm.
Source: Cooking Light’s Recipe for Couscous with Artichokes, Feta and Sun-Dried Tomatoes.