When I was younger I grew up in the Boston area and was very familiar with the irresistible allure of a certain place called “Dunkin’ Donuts”. Of course, as a kid, the freshly brewed coffee was not the enticement (although I do remember being quite fond of the smell). Rather, a few of the assorted mini donut holes were the anticipated treat.
As an adult, I have to admit, the thought of eating a donut does not readily come to mind as a preferable treat. At least that is the case after I eat one. The moments leading up to the yummy taste is usually pretty much OK with me. But, it is the lingering “I just ate a donut” feeling that somehow sits in my stomach for the rest of the morning that I am not a huge fan of. So…what’s a girl to do????
Solution: Make a lighter, yummier, non-tummy-stick-feeling version of donut muffins!
I love these mini muffins and of course they take no time to make (or eat). My favorite donut holes were always the cinnamon/sugar kind and so these are pretty much the same except baked and with only a few easy (and lower fat) ingredients. There are not even eggs in this one!
Now, on a completely unrelated note (and even possibly more awesome than donut muffins)…I have a little bragging to do.
Last weekend, Jason and I had the opportunity to do a photo shoot in downtown KC of my little brother and his girlfriend. We had a lot of fun running around (even in the 90 degree weather!) and getting to capture some pretty fun (and very cute) pictures of them.
So, as you can see, I have a lot of bragging to do. Kara and David did a great job walking all over the place with us and being up beat and awesome the whole time!
To see the rest of the photo shoot, head on over to my husband’s site: Deviantmonk.com!!
And while you are viewing the photos, start making a batch of these donut muffins to munch on.
- 1 cup white sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prep a 24 mini muffin pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and mix. Add in 1/2 cup milk and mix a few more times. Then slowly add in the dry ingredients (1 tsp. baking powder and 1 cup flour).
- Pour batter until half full in muffin pan holes. Place in preheated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- While the muffins are baking, get out 2 more bowls. In the first one, melt the remaining 1/4 cup of butter and set aside. In the second bowl, mix together remaining sugar (1/2 cup) and ground cinnamon and set next to the melted butter to create an assembly line.
- Remove muffins from oven when an inserted toothpick comes clean. Remove muffins from tin and start assembly line by dipping muffins into melted butter and then coating with the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container.
Source: AllRecipes.com’s Donut Muffins recipe.