Labor Day Weekend is upon us and that generally means 3 things to most American: time off, grilling, and social gatherings. (And hey, there are a bunch of college football games to watch too!). So, if you fall into those 3 categories, chances are you will eating and/or cooking some tasty Labor Day treats. I compiled a list of my top 8 Labor Day Weekend treats from The Fresh Fridge. Here is my top 8 list for this Labor Day Weekend:
The Quick-Nic – need something easy & quick to bring to a picnic? These are for you…
- Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Pesto Cheese Spread – A dip you can make & eat in 5 minutes. Served with crackers or veggies.
- White Peach, Tomato & Arugula Salsa – A spicy salsa with fruit undertones. Another zippy to make recipe. Serve with pita bread or tortilla chips.
- Authentic Athenian Greek Salad – Super delicious & easy to make. 5 ingredients that will make your taste buds happy. And, if you are digging the Greek theme, pick up some flat bread and hummus to go with this, one of my favorite combos.
Grilling Guru – Fire up the grill! Here are some new creations & classics for you…
- Sliders – A tasty little bite-sized burger that packs in huge taste in a small package.
- Chili Sweet Potatoes – What better to go with your sliders than some grilled chili sweet potatoes?
- Stuffed Jalapenos – A spicy & savory treat. Perfect for a snack or appetizer.
The Finishers – Desserts for fans of chocolate-y goodness…
- Raspberry Chocolate Smoothies – A great way to cool down and satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Crispy Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars – crispy, creamy, chocolate-y, peanut butter-y. These are always a hit. So yummy!
Some Fun Facts about Labor Day:
- Labor Day officially marks the end of Hot Dog Season, Pool Season, and one’s ability to wear white shoes.
- Labor Day was founded in the late 1800s to honor those who worked 12 hour days, 7 days a week to keep the country running.
- Sept. 5th, 1882 was the date that the first Labor Day was observed.
- In Nome, Alaska they celebrate Labor Day with an annual Great Bathtub Race, where 4 contestants push bathtubs on wheels filled with water and a 5th contestant.
- The most consumed item on Labor Day, is not beef or hot dogs…but alcohol.