I am always a sucker for appetizers. If asked to choose what I could live on for the rest of my life, I think miniature or appetizer foods would top the list. There is just something about being able to have something incredibly delicious whose entire contents can fit inside your mouth in one bite. So, for some simply delicious appetizers, you can’t go wrong with pastry dough and bacon. Or in our other case, pesto. Just the smell of these baking would make anyone’s tummy start to growl. Again, we made 2 versions of these appetizers. The first one, called the crowd hit, is the Bacon Herb & Cheese version and the second version is also quite delicious – Pesto and Parmesan Pinwheels. These are super easy appetizers. So, if you are on the run and need something quick for a dinner party, these guys are the perfect choice. Guaranteed to please even the pickiest of eaters.
Bacon, Herb & Cheese Pinwheels
- 3 tablespoons herbed cheese spread (or enough to evenly coat pastry dough)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons, cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1/2 package frozen puffed pastry sheets, thawed (other half can be used for Pesto version or double this recipe for more!)
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh pesto (or enough to evenly coat pastry dough)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1/2 package frozen puffed pastry sheets, thawed (other half can be used for Herbed Cheese version or double this recipe for more!)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Unwrap the puff pastry, spread herbed cheese cheese and sprinkle with bacon. (Pesto version – spread pesto only)
- Roll up into a log, then cut at 1″ and place each one on its side on cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle the top with bacon bits. (Pesto version – sprinkle top with parmesan)
- Cook 400 degrees for 20 minutes.