Welcome to my second installment of “HOW TO” Wednesdays! This 4 weeks of “how to” will be on seasonings that you can make straight out of your cupboard to save you a little cooking time or spending money. This week is an essential, Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice.
Although this is a little late for the holidays or pumpkin pies, I had to share this basic spice combo that I love to have on hand! Whether in pies, cookies, or baking I love adding the delicious blend that creates pumpkin pie spice. So many times I have found myself wanting to use it, but didn’t buy any at the store. So, for a long time I have just been making my own homemade pumpkin pie spice from what I already have in the cupboard. I also like making this spice homemade so that I can have the ability to up some of my favorite spices (like allspice) to make my pumpkin pie spice more unique to my taste preferences. So, if you have any cinnamon or cloves lying around, make some pumpkin pie spice…you never know, it might come in handy for a tasty latte on a cold day!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice (or cloves)
- For Storage: Use an airtight container or spice tin
How To: Make Homemade Pumpkin Spice
- Mix all the spices in a small bowl until well mixed. You can taste test to make sure you have reached the desired amount of spices.
- For later use, store in air tight container.