I am back from probably the longest break from blogging I have ever taken since the creation of The Fresh Fridge. I was almost nervous to come and write a new post after being absent for so long. Not only that, but my trepidation was increased, once I realized that this post is also a milestone for me, the 100th post.

The contents of this post then must be of more importance and special regard than any other regular post. Like any milestones, I knew I wanted to regard this post with recognition and celebration for having come this far.

So, with this post I have decided to share something a little bigger than food. The story of the inner struggle of a blogger who is really just a girl, who is a wife, who stays at home and cleans dishes, reads her Bible, dreams about cooking adventures, and who faces the reality that life is too short.

In June of 2009, my husband was diagnosed with an aggressive form of Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, a cancer of the lymph system. He received 8 rounds of chemotherapy over 3 months and was pronounced clear that November. The whole time during treatment still seems somewhat like a dream, one that we are only reminded of at 3 month check-ups when he goes back in for scans and follow-ups. For two people in their 20s, cancer always seemed something somewhat foreign and inconceivable, which became undeniably real for us.

But the point is, despite the reality of cancer, we won and we will keep on winning (we are a team). Over the next few months, my husband’s hair grew back (nice and blonde for our wedding) and we began to live and laugh and plan again. We started worrying about work and having kids rather than doctors appointments. I started a food blog to share all of my new and wonderful (and hopefully yummy) creations. We went on walks, drank new and exciting kinds of tea, went to the art gallery, and tried new restaurants. Sometimes people will wonder what you do after cancer, the answer is, you live.

But, with all good things sometimes still will come the hard things. Two weeks ago we got to attend another routine follow-up where we found out that his cells have become active once again. Part of the reason I have not submitted a new blog post is because, in part, I have struggled with a distaste for food since that day. But, I am not without hope or joy or perseverance.

First, my husband is the most amazingly strong person I know – a man of steel – he really can withstand very, very much. Second, I recognize and fully trust that the worst thing is never the last thing, no matter what. Thirdly, as I said earlier, even if we have to fight this again…and again…and again…we will continue to live and hope and dream.

Through the course of the last couple of years, we have really, truly learned what it means to trust and to love. It is so easy to say the words “I Love You” or to go to church and sing songs about how good God is. It is quite another thing to be faced with something that turns your world over and around and turns you inside out until you don’t really know how you feel anymore. During these moments is where we have learned just how deep love goes. In the midst of all the fear and doubt and uncertainty is where faith begins to find a place to glimmer in all its glory. The Bible says that God has shed his love abroad in our hearts, and this is something that has to become more than just something you read and acknowledge- it has to be something you experience in all the wonder and heartache of life. Through the darkest places we have discovered that our love for each other gets stripped of all the superficiality that we are all prone to, until what remains is love in its rawest and most beautiful form.

So although things have been hard and are getting hard again, we can be thankful with confidence in God’s love.

Soon we hope, we will have more information about what the next steps are. I will continue to share my love for all things culinary and hopefully have some yummy pictures to gaze at as well. I am so glad to be a part of the blogging community, especially with all of you foodies, and hope you can help me celebrate 100 posts and counting. :)

Soooo…about that food! This is one of my favorite super easy, super delicious desserts EVER. Cored strawberries, low-fat whipped cream, and a few blueberries stacked/stuffed inside…sheer amazingness. And one can easily say it is one of the healthier desserts out there.

With Memorial Day coming up, I have been obsessively dreaming about all of my favorite cook out favorites. So, of course, these came to mind immediately. They are so lite and refreshing, I decided that giving them another try at home was a must this week.

The best part about these, besides the delicious treat that they are is that they are really, super easy AND they look so pretty! So great for an appetizer for guests at a party or small get together. :)

Of course, I made them the easiest way possible by just coring strawberries, using store bought low-fat whipped cream and topping them with blueberries, BUT there are many, many more ways you can make these unique.

Some of my favorites for cored strawberries stuffings are:

• Mixed fruit (berries, melon, mandarin oranges, kiwi)
  • Vanilla or chocolate pudding
  • Lemon curd
  • Custard
  • Ice Cream
  • Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate (or all 3!)

So, experiment with these strawberry fruit cups as much as you want! I know I will definitely be trying the chocolate filled kind (perhaps I could even make one like a fruit s’more???) Enjoy!

Berry Fruit Cups

Ingredients:

• 1/2 pound large strawberries, washed and cored
  • 1/4 pound washed blueberries
  • whipped cream (store-bought or homemade)

Method:

1. Wash, hull, and core strawberries (a melon scoop works nicely). Make sure to find large strawberries to use to make it easier.
  2. Fill each strawberry with whipped cream (if homemade, pour whipped cream into a pastry bag).
  3. Top with washed blueberries and serve immediately.
  4. Tip: These are best served right away since the whipped cream will melt. If making for later, prepare fruit and then fill with whipped cream just before serving. You can try refrigerating these for a short time before serving to keep cool too. :)

Source: Baker’s Royale Creme Filled Fruit Cups.

30 Responses to “Life and Berry Fruit Cups”

1. Kara says:

100th post = best post EVER. Love you guys. Stay strong (I know you will).

2. Becky M says:

I have missed you and will continue to pray for you and Jason. Thanks, also, for using your blog to share more than recipes. Congratulations on your 100th post.

3. Foodafok says:

Very nice. It came to my mind, this is the dessert of love.

4. Urban Wife says:

I’m a fairly new reader on your site but want to let you know you and your husband are in my prayers. May God strengthen you through this time. Congrats on your 100th post and thank you for sharing such a lovely, healthy recipe.

5. MaryZ says:

So glad I “clicked” on your post today. I will keep you in my prayers, asking for continued strength both of you…and oh yeah, the food looks wonderful :)

6. Bruce Rumsey says:

Wow! I hardly know you, but your words are very strong! You know something the rest of us have yet to understand . . .

Both of you are in our prayers and thoughts, Bruce

7. Tres Bella says:

You are such a creative writer and cook. Congratulations on your 100th post. So proud!

8. Faith says:

Congrats on the 100th posts. Your words are realy touching and I love the writing. The recipe looks fantastic.

Have a great weekend.

9. DocVinoDinero says:

An excellent article! If there’s anything I can do to help please let me know!!!!

Your Uncle Doug

10. Liz says:

So glad you are back, Megan. I miss you and keep you and Jason in my prayers.
    I will deifinitely try this yummy dessert. Rachel will love it.

11. Dina says:

the berry cups are so cute!

12. Roxanne says:

Megan, you and Jason are in our prayers. I have been thinking about you and wondering if you were ok. Please know that you have many “stretcher bearers”, so please let me know if you need anything.
    So sorry you are dealing with this once again.

13. Linda Vogan says:

Megan, as your Mother’s friend and neighbor and one that doesn’t know you at all really, I am touched and amazed at your gifts and your expression of those gifts. Not only are you able to tell of your love of Christ and your love of your new husband, but you show us strength, perserverence and hope.

It is what all of us long for, having others to share the every day life, the struggles, the pain and yet we all need hope of God being present, never leaving us on our own and when we turn toward Him, giving us what we need at that moment. Thank you for your gifts; be it cooking, picture taking or speaking through the written word. May you be blessed, certainly the prayer of healing for Jason, and may God lift you up and continue to show His glory and His amazing grace. Look up and trust Him to take you through this journey and know that there are those that care. Thanks for trusting us enough to share this pain.Linda

14. Thank you all for the kind comments, prayers, and support. I am truly humbled to be surrounded by such truly amazing people as yourselves who so willingly offer up kindness and support for us. I really cannot thank you all enough, as a foodie I think if I could possibly bake cookies for everyone, I would gladly do so. So, thank you again, and know that your words have been very much appreciated.

15. Tres Bella says:

Numerous friends have sent me emails, so I thought I would share some of their comments…

They are an amazing couple. How often in life do people really know love – they are lucky.
    What a strong and courageous couple.
    What an expression of faith they have.
    What a wonderful daughter you have! Your daughter is amazing.
    They are such a sweet beautiful couple.
    Wow! Your daughter is way ahead of her years . . .
    Megan writes so amazing and it truly touched me so thank her for sharing her food and feelings.
    -Mom

16. Joanne says:

Oh Megan, I am so sorry to hear this! I’m running another marathon and raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society this summer and this is exactly why I do it. I would love to run in honor of your husband, if that would be okay with you! All my best wishes and love to you!

These berry fruit cups look delicious and so chock full of nutrients! The perfect memorial day treat.

• Joanne – You are so awesome, thanks so much! Would love to have you run in honor of Jason, that would mean so much! So impressed at your marathon running, you inspire me by all you do. Thanks!!

17. janet says:

Megan,
    Congrats on your 100th post. And the great pictures. KU should be proud!
    I especially loved your statement, “the worst thing iis never the last thing”
    keep the faith. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

18. Wendy says:

I’m a brand new reader, but I all too well this battle with cancer (I’ve beaten it down two times) and I am praying for both you and your husband!

19. Age says:

Thanks for the cry, the inspiration, and the reminder that God is always good– especially good– during life’s hard times. Keep doing God’s good work!

20. Erika says:

Lifting Jason and you up in prayers.

GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME AND ALL THE TIME GOD IS GOOD!!!!

JOHOVAH ROPHE –(ONE OF GODS MANY NAMES.. GOD OF HEALING)

21. Kristen says:

Roxanne was telling me about your husband the other night at dinner, with tears in her eyes. Now as I read this, I have tears in my eyes thinking of all you have gone through and at such a young, tender age.

May God bless you both and the physicians who help to heal your husband so the two of you can continue to live the life you have planned. Hugs and thanks for sharing your story. It really means a lot.

22. Michelle says:

Thank you for sharing this post. Will be praying.

23. [...] Life and Berry Fruit Cups » The Fresh Fridge. [...]

24. Linda says:

I just found your blog through a pin of this recipe on Pinterest. Thanks for sharing about your struggle. It seems every family is touched by cancer in one way or another, but as you said, facing it in your 20′s is a real shocker, I’m sure. Your response is well written and very encouraging.

Blessings to you and your husband,
    Linda

25. thebeadden says:

I am so glad to have found your site! Thanks for the great idea!

26. [...] Berry Fruit Cups via The Fresh Fridge [...]

27. Ellen phelan says:

I read your story and I can say that it certainly touches my heart. May The Lord continue to hold you both close and closer still when need be. Be strong and together, remember that love and faith can conquer all. God bless.

28. Janell says:

It was hard to find your blog in google search results. I found it on 19 position, you
    have to build some quality backlinks , it will help you to get more visitors.
    I know how to help you, just search in google
    - k2 seo tips