I have asserted many times over to my family, friends, and even strangers at times that my absolute favorite snack is popcorn.
Popcorn with M&Ms. Popcorn with Hot Tamales candy. Popcorn seasoned with garlic salt. Pretty much popcorn + anything.
So as any good popcorn addict does I have (of course) tried all kinds of popcorn. Like, the famous Topsy’s Popcorn or the traditional large tin can of three flavors for the holidays (cheese, caramel, and cinnamon). I have had the Caribou Popcorn as a gift, the gourmet version of caramel popcorn with drizzled chocolate and graham crackers. I have even ventured forth and tried jalapeno cheese popcorn and even black licorice flavor.
BUT…despite all of these yummy creations and varied delicious popcorn concoctions. Never. Ever. Have I been soooo addicted to popcorn until I found this recipe.
Perhaps it is the homemade freshness. Perhaps it is the perfect combination of just enough salty and just enough sweet. Perhaps it is the infused amounts of absolute amazingness that makes this popcorn so magical. This homemade caramel popcorn has the ability to somehow shut off any rationality in my brain. And often times in zombie fashion…”must eat more” is my mantra after the first bite.
So, dive in and make this recipe for Homemade Caramel & Cashew Popcorn. In true zombie fashion make some for Halloween – ummm, awesome. For the holiday season and impressing you relatives (and having bragging rights) – of course, delightful. Because, darn it, you need something amazingly delicious for your amazing self – enough said, perfect.
- 8 quarts of popped plain popcorn
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 16 ounce container of halved cashews
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. In a large bowl add in popcorn and set aside.
- Mix brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add in baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt (mixture will bubble)
- Pour mixture over popcorn and spread out on baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour at 200 degrees.
- Remove from oven and let cool Then mix in cashews and serve.
The Fresh Fridge Tip: To save on time AND cash, use a Microwave Popcorn Popper! You can just buy the popcorn kernels in bulk and pop them in the microwave.