If you have ever wondered what a dinner on the fly is like at our house, then you are in luck. I give you two simple words: Chicken Burritos.
We are spicy food fanatics and regularly find an excuse to use a little extra hot sauce in a meal. Naturally, having taco night is something that happens more often than not around here.
Our recipe for chicken burritos is very simple and packs in a lot of flavor for the little prep time it requires. Which is one of the reasons why it is our go-to quick dinner of choice.
We also usually have a rotisserie chicken brought home every few weeks from a local store (that always gives us coupons for deli items…bonus!) so, having a burrito with the extra meat is usually what takes place when we have leftovers.
This recipe can also easily be made vegetarian if you just switch out some sliced red, green and/or yellow bell peppers for the shredded chicken.
- 6 flour tortillas, warmed (see homemade tortilla recipe here)
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken (we used rotisserie chicken)
- 1 (7 oz) can diced green chiles
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 (14 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- Garnish: shredded cheese, salsa, lettuce, avocado, sour cream, hot sauce
- In a medium skillet, heat oil on medium heat and saute onion and green chilis for about 5 minutes. Then add in shredded chicken and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Turn skillet to low to keep warm, stirring occasionally.
- In a small saucepan, pour in (rinsed and drained) black beans and stir in chili powder, garlic powder, and hot sauce. Cook on medium heat while occasionally stirring until beans are tender.
- Cook rice according to instructions on package or warm up prepared rice.
- To make burrito: Take one warmed tortilla, top with rice, add a line of black beans, and then a line of the chicken mixture, then top with preferred garnish of salsa, shredded cheese, lettuce, guacamole, hot sauce, and/or sour cream.