Yay for guest posts! Today’s post comes from one of my super talented friends, Michelle. I still remember the first day she brought these toffee bars into the office, mostly because  I couldn’t stop “visiting” to get some more! They are simple and delicious and very, very addicting! Thanks Michelle! :)

I love Fall. The air turns crisp and cool. The leaves on the trees turn amazing colors. Fall also means football. Lots of football. And while I love to watch my K-State Wildcats, what I love most is hanging out with my family and friends at a tailgate or watch party and eating all the wonderful football food! Everyone gets to bring something to share – a new recipe or a tried-and-true favorite.

One of my go-to sweet treats is chocolate toffee bars. And they are SO easy! I got this recipe from my mom who loves toffee and chocolate. With the sweet and salty combination from the saltine crackers and buttery brown sugar, this tasty treat goes fast!

Thanks Michelle!! :)

Chocolate Toffee Bars

Ingredients:

• 1 sleeve Saltine Crackers
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 12oz bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

Method:

1. Line a jelly roll pan with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Put the crackers salt side up on the foil in one layer, cutting pieces to fit so the bottom is completely covered.
  2. In a heavy saucepan, heat butter and brown sugar until boiling. Boil hard for 3 minutes. Do not overcook. Pour mixture over crackers and carefully spread out evenly.
  3. Bake at 400 degrees for 4-5 min. Watch very carefully because they can burn easily. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over warm bars. Once melted, spread the chocolate evenly over the bars. Let cool completely. Break into 3-inch pieces. Enjoy!

15 Responses to “Chocolate Toffee Bars”

1. Urban Wife says:

Oh my goodness, these look divine! And perfect for when that chocolate craving strikes. Thanks for sharing!

2. Oh my gawd, could these be any more heavenly-looking? You just made me salivate!

3. Anna says:

Choco lovers are in for a treat! really love that there are only 4 ingredients…My cupboard is ready for this recipe!

4. So easy and sounds excellent. I was actually eating spoonfuls of melted butter and brown sugar today (shh… don’t tell my doctor!) and thinking there has got to be a good recipe for this stuff (other than glazed carrots). Now I have one. Thanks!

5. peachkins says:

I am totally bookmarking this!

6. There is nothing else to say but YUM!

oh, and your photos are incredible ;)

(nice to meet you!)
    A xx

7. Wow – these look awesome! They remind me of heath bars (one of my favorites as a kid) but even better. I love that saltines are the base! Brilliant.

8. Becky M says:

In our family, these have 5 ingredients because they’re covered in walnuts! For those new to this dessert, you really must try it. It’s perfect for all of those holiday “bring a dessert” events.

9. Dmarie says:

ooh, I just love these…thx for the reminder!!

10. Corwin says:

These were so good that I felt compelled to post about them on Facebook. My Facebook status as of 8:58 PM, October 9, 2011:
    “As Wells’ Martians had no defenses against the diseases of Earth, as Tolkien’s elves, after standing on the shore and viewing the waters, found themselves irresistibly drawn to the sea, I am helplessly addicted to these: http://thefreshfridge.com/2011/10/chocolate-toffee-bars/ The simplicity of the ingredients and ease of the recipe further facilitate my demise. The sailors of ancient Greece stopped their ears to avoid dashing their ships on the rocks upon hearing the sirens’ song — alas! I cannot close the ears of my stomach.”

11. Cassie says:

Using saltines is so brilliant. These sound divine!

12. Eliana says:

OMG – only 4 ingredients! They looks absolutely incredible. Thanks so much for sharing.

13. Kristen says:

I have distressed wood envy right now… love that table top! Gorgeous, yummy treat!

14. Stephanie says:

Made these for vday. DIVINE!